Opened in 1950, the 67-year-old Canton Memorial Field House is home to the McKinley basketball and volleyball teams. Located adjacent to Fawcett Stadium, construction on the Field House began on November 3rd, 1949. It was designed by the Osborn Engineering Company of Cleveland, a firm well-established in stadium design; other projects by Osborn included New York's original Yankee Stadium, Milwaukee County Stadium, Chicago's Comiskey Park, and Cleveland Municipal Stadium. It was built by the Melbourne Brothers Construction Company, whose other contributions to Canton include the Bliss Tower, the Timken Stables and the Pro Football Hall of Fame.
The Field House cost $516,300.56 to construct. The facility was dedicated on November, 24th, 1950. At the time of it's opening, it included 4041 permanent seats and 1541 retractable floor seats, and a total capacity of 5582. The main floor is 90ft x 50ft, with two 84ft x 48ft practice courts laid out as well.
The Field House was the second unit in the Canton City Schools athletic complex, which eventually included Fawcett Stadium, the Field House, Don Scott track and field and baseball field, the C.T. Branin Natatorium, and McKinley auxilary gymnasium. Fawcett Stadium has been replaced with Benson Stadium, and the baseball field has been replaced with the Hall of Fame youth fields.
Home to all Canton City School basketball teams (McKinley, Timken, Lehman, Lincoln) the facility has an unmatched tradition in Ohio basketball. Five state championship teams have played here (one girls team and three boys teams from McKinley, one boys team from Lehman). The Field House has also hosted countless OHSAA tournament games, concerts, and community events. A string of renovations during 2003 and 2004 ushered in a new parquet floor, new lighting, displays honoring Canton City’s basketball tradition, new paint, new seating everywhere in the arena (lowering seating capacity to 4800), new baskets, new scoreboards, and new message displays. These projects helped keep the Field House a viable Canton landmark. The renovations shrank the seating capacity to 4800.